6.11.2017

Thoughts/Review: hopeless fountain kingdom by Halsey

Hey everyone! Halsey's new album, hopeless fountain kingdom, came out about a week ago and I wanted to share my thoughts on it, track by track. When I heard Now Or Never a couple of weeks ago I was kind of wary about this album because I wasn't a huge fan of that particular song. But I ended up really loving hopeless fountain kingdom. It definitely gives out different vibes than Halsey's last album, Badlands, did, but I'm completely okay with that. I actually think it's really interesting to see the style of any artist change over time. Anyway, great job and so much gratitude to Halsey for all the time that she spent on this album!




Track 1- The Prologue 

This track is more of an introduction to the album than a song. It starts with the prologue of Romeo and Juliet (which is honestly so cool) and sets up the theme of the album perfectly: At least, from what I understand, Hopeless Fountain Kingdom seems to be a place that is seemingly perfect..But once you look deeper, it's really not.

I am a child of a money hungry, prideful country
Grass is green and it's always sunny 

Track 2- 100 Letters

Honestly, the lyrics of this song are just brilliant. They're just so beautiful and metaphorical. Anyway, to me, this track seems to be about an unhealthy or even abusive relationship and how Halsey left it.

You wrote a 100 letters just for me
And I find them in my closet, in the pockets of my jeans

Track 3- Eyes Closed

With this song, I personally prefer the stripped version to the studio recorded one. Her vocals in this song are just SO AMAZING. The tracks on hopeless fountain kingdom tell a story, and this track is such a great follow up to a 100 Letters.

But you've been replaced

I'm face to face with someone new

Track 4- Heaven in Hiding

Okay, so this is my favorite track on the entire album. The first time I listened through the album (yes, I've lost count of the number of times I've replayed this album), even though this was only the fourth track out of 16, I just knew that this would be my favorite song. If you are going to listen to only one song on this album, listen to this one! The beat and the tune and the lyrics..IT'S ALL TOO GOOD.

And when you start to feel the rush
A crimson headache,  aching blush

Track 5- Alone

So, right when this song starts it gives off really jazzy vibes which is just so interesting and different from Halsey's other songs! And there's just something so raw about this track, how it expresses the feeling of being alone even when you're surrounded by people. Overall, I really liked this track.

But if you ask why I'm distant
Oh I'm running away

Track 6- Now or Never
I feel pretty meh about this track. I'm honestly not a big fan of the tune or the lyrics. It's not a bad song, but I'm just not feeling it with this one.

Trying to talk to wall
But you could never tear it down for me, yeah

Track 7- Sorry

This is also one of my favorites on the album! It such a powerful song and it gives me so many emotions. The lyrics are so relatable and I love the piano that's being played in the background. JUST GO LISTEN TO IT!

Cause sometimes I can treat the people
That I love like jewelry 

Track 8- Good Mourning
This one isn't really a song..it's more of a kind of intermission, I guess. It gives out a really creepy vibe and I love it so much! I also love the references to Romeo and Juliet in it.

They told me once, "Don't trust the moon. She's always changing."
The shores bend and break for her

Track 9- Lie ft. Quavo

This song is definitely really different from Halsey's other music..and I did really like it, until Quavo's   part. I just think that it would have been better if Halsey just went solo for this song. Also, this song is really short for some reason. It's just a little over two minutes long.

Got no one to lie to 
There's no need to lie no more

Track 10- Walls Could Talk

This track reminds me of the 90s and early 2000s. BASICALLY, BRITNEY SPEARS VIBES. Again, it's such a good track, but I wish that it was longer. This one is only 1 minute and 41 seconds long, which is way too short.

Been about three days and I'm coming back
I'm about four minutes from a heart attack

Track 11- Bad at Love
This song gives me chills. I love the lgbtq representation in it! Critics kept saying that Halsey didn't have any queer representation in her songs and THEN THIS SONG HAPPENED. In this song, Halsey sings about loving boys and girls, which I think is so amazing because we really do need more lgbtq representation in music. 

But I never got the chance to make her mine
Because she fell in love with thin white lines

Track 12- Don't Play
This song is basically a diss track to all the haters, and IT'S SO EMPOWERING. I just love this one so much!

I'm moving on, I'm getting paid
I'm on my own, I had some space to deal with it
And

Track 13- Strangers ft. Lauren Jaurengui
YASSS ANOTHER LGBTQ SONG. I feel like this track is the type of song that could definitely be played on the mainstream radio which is great because everyone needs to hear this one! It tells a story of lesbian and bisexual women in love, a story that is ignored in most mainstream media. I didn't know who Lauren was before listening to this track, but her voice is so beautiful and she sounds superb with Halsey. 

She doesn't look me in the eyes anymore
Too scared of what she'll see, somebody holding ,e

Track 14- Angel on Fire
This track is one of my favorites on the entire album. So many people suffer from anxiety, from depression, from low self-esteem.Yet these peoples' stories are rarely told in songs and albums. But this song does tell those stories, and it tells them in a such a raw, honest, beautiful way.

Now it's my own anxiety
That makes the conversations hard

Track 15- Devil in Me
This song is probably going to be stuck in my head for the next year. Everything about this song is sensational...The lyrics, the tune, and the beat. 

And I went tumbling down trying to reach your high
But I scream too loud if I speak my mind

Track 16- Hopeless ft. Cashmere Cat
This one also gives me chills. It has such a melancholic feeling to it, and it just beautifuly represents the sorrowful fate of lovers. The background vocals really add so much to this song and really help convey it's despondent mood. 

And so I must be better than I think it is
Give me those eyes, it's easy to forgive



xxx
If you haven't listened to hopeless fountain kingdom, I hope that you do soon, because it really is such an amazing album. If you have listened to it, what's your favorite song on the album? Tell me in the comments!

-Jolly

4 comments:

  1. I plan on listening to it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guilty because I never usually listen to a ton of mainstream pop-- my ears are usually attuned to the indie and alternative range, but these song lyrics just come alive!

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listen to a lot of mainstream pop, but I rarely like it. I would say that Halsey is considered alternative, although her latest album is definitely more mainstream. But yes, her lyrics are just amazing!

      Delete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!